The Fraud Advisory Panel have set up a COVID-19 fraud watch group which is a cross-sector and cross-industry coalition of trusted partners (including the Cabinet Office and City of London Police) who meet to share information on emerging fraud threats and trends affecting business. It aims to act as a conduit to warn the public, private and third sectors about COVID-19 fraud risks and the preventative actions that can be taken.
Issued: Thursday 17 September 2020
CURRENT COVID-19 FRAUD RISKS
- Phishing emails and letters (esp. Zoom and Microsoft 365)
- Fraudulent coronavirus insurance adverts
- Fake fines claiming the individual has broken lockdown rules
- Fraudulent pre-paid funeral plans
- Business impersonation (esp. requests for employees to update their bank details).
SOME SIMPLE PREVENTATIVE TIPS …
- International Charity Fraud Awareness Week will be taking place 19-23 October.
- Get involved and support the week by downloading the supporters pack, available here.
- Visit the Charity Fraud Awareness hub for free helpsheets, webinars, practical tutorials to help protect your charity from fraud.
- Suspicious emails can be forwarded to: email@example.com.
- Suspicious text messages can be forwarded to 7726.
- Report a fraudulent advert through the Advertising Standards Agency online tool.
- Businesses should carry out due diligence on professional advisors to ensure they are a qualified professional.
- Update 1 issued on Wednesday 01 April 2020.
- Update 2 issued on Friday 03 April 2020.
- Update 3 issued on Thursday 09 April 2020.
- Update 4 issued on Thursday 16 April 2020.
- Update 5 issued on Thursday 23 April 2020.
- Update 6 issued on Thursday 30 April 2020.
- Update 7 issued on Thursday 07 May 2020.
- Update 8 issued on Thursday 14 May 2020.
- Update 9 issued on Thursday 21 May 2020.
- Update 10 issued on Thursday 28 May 2020.
- Update 11 issued on Thursday 04 June 2020.
- Update 12 issued on Thursday 11 June 2020.
- Update 13 issued on Thursday 23 June 2020.
- Update 14 issued on Thursday 09 July 2020.
- Update 15 issued on Thursday 23 July 2020.
- Update 16 issued on Thursday 06 August 2020.
- Update 17 issued on Thursday 20 August 2020.
- Update 18 issued on Thursday 03 September 2020.