This website uses cookies to enhance your experience and to help us improve the site. By using our website you consent to cookies being placed on your device, unless you change your settings to disable them.

Please see our Cookies Policy for further information about cookies and how to disable them.


UK victims

Interactive decision tree

Interactive decision tree

Please use our interactive tool to understand more about the criminal and civil justice systems and how the two systems can interact. It outlines the main steps, and has been specifically created with the individuals and smaller business victim in mind.

Please carefully read about the main differences between the criminal and civil justice systems before using the decision tree.

Criminal: public prosecution


You should report to the police by either visiting a local police station or by calling 101.

You will be given a police crime reference number.

You will also be asked whether you would like your details passed on to Victim Support, a national charity which offers free and confidential emotional support and practical help for those affected by crime.