Nate Packard and Kristen Mulder from GoFundMe’s trust and safety team give their top tips for safe giving online
- Only donate through well-established crowdfunding sites. They have proper security processes and safety mechanisms. The best of them also offer protections for donors affected by fraud.
- If you don’t know the organiser of the campaign personally do some research online. Trustworthy organisers typically use social media to promote their campaigns. Check what others are saying about them.
- Is the relationship between the organiser and the recipient (or beneficiary) made clear? There should also be a plan for getting the funds to the recipient. Better still, they should be able to withdraw the funds for themselves.
- Is the campaign updated regularly? Reliable organisers tend to keep supporters up-to-date.
- If the fundraising is for someone affected by events in the news, check the facts using mainstream news outlets as well as social media.
Read our new guidance here.